Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Becoming a local... literally!

Sorry to keep you all waiting, I know the anticipation has been killing you and you have been experiencing severe Hong Kong Blog with drawl... but I am back! This thing called school has been kicking my ass lately but not to worry, I have my priorities straight and am updating you all on my life rather than study! My classes are going great, everything is coming to an end which makes for a very busy Sarah, but I love what I am doing so it is great. There is a positive side to being extremely busy right now, it means that I am done very early in December (pretty much December 1st!!!!!) I don't leave until December 21st so that means almost 20 days of spending money I don't have... haha!

I am planning on going to the Southwest part of Mainland China to some really cool hiking trails I want to check out with my friend Amy. You literally hike through the Himalayas for a week straight and just stop at guest houses along the way. It would give me a chance to see the natural beauty of China. Also, I am thinking about going to Japan. I have a layover in Japan with my flight so I am looking into paying a fee change and having a short stop over (3 or 4 days) so that I can check out Tokyo, eat some Sushi, possibly see Mount Fuji and call it a day. This trip is pending finding a travel mate because lots of people are still finishing up finals at this time so we'll see. I like to think I am adventurous but I don't think Tokyo alone is a good call....


Halloween in Hong Kong was ridiculous. There were thousands and thousands of people filling the streets (many just to take pictures, I know crazy right? Asians taking pictures....) The funny thing was that I went as an Asian (Hello Kitty fan) so no one really wanted pictures with me because I looked so ordinary... here are a few pictures to sum up the night!

Hello kitty fanatic... compete with a hello kitty backpack, ridiculous watch all the locals wear, pig tails, hello kitty hair clips, hello kitty shirt, hello kitty weird dangling key chain...

and Hello Kitty slippers (best choice ever in terms of comfort)
Rubba dub dub five Asians in a tub... Amy found these guys in LKF (she went as a Canadian....she would)
My roommate and me before the festivities! (This is her normal face haha)
Trojan men... Alejandro trying to steal the thunder with his sweet fencing skills!

I don't know if I can even pick out a favorite part of this picture, just look at all the action taking place. If I had to choose I think it would be that we look like we are BEST friends, I mean we look like we've known each other for years (I am cheek to cheek with that girl).


The streets were packed! It took almost an hour and a half of walking just to get to the bar district because they had the streets blocked off. Oh and it isn't a time wharp, the bar is called 1997.

Last Friday I finished class and decided I needed some serious shopping therapy after a week of group projects... so I called Amy and asked her if she wanted to go to China for the night... 20 minutes and one sketchy hotel booking later we were on our way! This guy.... not sure his name but I think he looks like a Fred, is ALWAYS working the buses. He stands out there with his Santa belly and motions the buses to and from campus from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm 7 days a week, and you thought you had it bad!
Shenzhen is right on the border of Hong Kong SAR (Special Administrative Region) and Mainland China. It is only about an hour from campus but it seems a world away! It is sooooo different from Hong Kong! Here we are arriving to Shenzhen.... I look awkward!
Now don't get me wrong, Hong Kong is cheap, but Shenzhen is ridiculous.... I shopped until I dropped, buying much more than one should ever buy in a day. I justified every purchase with a, "It's so cheap though!" For instance I bought the entire series of Friends (10 seasons, totaling over 50 DVDs for 20 dollars! Here we are getting a manicure and pedicure for a whopping 5 dollars. Funny story.... Amy is a runner and she had so much dead skin on the bottom of her feet that they charged her extra! I was seriously crying I was laughing so hard.... she would probably kill me if she knew I told you that so don't tell her!
The highlight of the trip was undoubtedly the Karaoke. For those of you who are not familiar with the Asian custom of singing Karaoke I will enlighten you. Asians can not sing! However, there are entire buildings (multiple floors) in which you get friends together and rent a room to sing for a certain amount of time. We met some locals that spoke English and they asked if we wanted to go with them so we did! Best decision of my life, I have never been so entertained...it was like watching William Hung from American Idol on repeat. They bring you food, beer and you just choose music.... I mostly stuck with ABBA! Please enjoy :)
Here are the guys we met... honestly the Karaoke scene is so weird! People wait in line for hours to get a room booked haha
Here I am... look at that face I must be getting really into it!
Although he looks about 10 this guy was celebrating his 29th birthday! He was helping me practice my Mandarin.
For your viewing please I bring to you.... some of the funniest stuff you will ever see!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

wheres the videos of you singing abba?

Sarah Barga said...

haha for my own dignity I left that one out! Actually I do have one of Amy and me singing A Whole New World from Aladdin but again.... I don't want to put anyone through that!

Beth said...

I am so jealous of all of your Hello Kitty stuff! I found some Hello Kitty Christmas tissues at WalMart the other day, and HAD TO BUY!!!!

Unknown said...

Like the Hello Kitty stuff--very appropriate coming from you. Holloween seems to be quite different there.