Sunday, October 12, 2008

Mmm Mmm Good

There is some campus food that is not that bad, let me rephrase... there is some campus food that is edible, but today was just not a good day of searching for a prospective meal.

Usually, I eat at the Coffee shop which has some pretty good international choices and has been my savior here. They have Panini's to BLTs and salmon salads to Spaghetti. The problem today arose while trying to be a good student! I dismissed going with my friends to get dinner at the Coffee Shop. When they came back to the library about an hour later, I was ready for food but they informed me that it was (dun dun dun) closed for the evening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love good Chinese food, but just like any campus dinning hall, the quality is not good. There are so many great eating places at Hung Hau which is just a 5 or 10 minute bus ride away from the university and it is great to go there for Sushi, Thai or Dim Sum (a local favorite). Tonight I wanted to get some work done and didn't want to leave campus so I decided to explore my dining hall options.

A few days ago I went to the dining hall and had the poorest excuse for Sweet and Sour pork ever. Every little piece of chicken I had, had a bone in it! There wasn't even any real meat, just fat, bone and a little dark meat. I just finished the rice that accompanied it and contemplated getting a McFlurry at McDonalds just to lift my spirits haha.

Tonight I gave the dining hall another shot. I looked at the options and one was Pig Knuckle.... what is a pig knuckle anyway? Is it literally a knuckle like on their foot?!?!? Then there was Pig Neck, Duck feet and a few other selections...call me crazy but nothing really tickled my fancy. I also have a personal issue with one of the men that serves the soup at the dining hall. He has a really big mole on his face (which is fine) but he literally has 2 or 3 inch hairs growing out of the mole!!!!! He is always working there when I go too, and although I try not to think about it, I get really grossed out.

So after meandering around for a good 15 minutes contemplating my options, I settled on going to Park n' Shop, the campus grocery store and getting Campbell's Vegetable Soup..... was it ever Mmm Mmm Good!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great comments on food. Pig knucle was one of the questions on your 4-H Skill-a-thon contest @ Darke County Fair, although the picture they showed wasn't cooked. I renember the guy with the Mole, it was huge as well as the length of the wiskers.(I found him the day I was killing time while you were in class---GROSS) Dad